Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 5- Beyond Expectations

Day 5- Hola a Todos! Today started as a typical work day- but continued in a much more than typical fashion. After such a long day yesterday, I hit the bed wanting to go to sleep, but felt impelled to type a little. But gravity won the battle over my eyelids and I wound up typing a bunch of a nonsensical bunch of jibber jabber of letters on the screen. I fell asleep and don’t remember any dogs barking or cows mooing- just the morning bell ringing. After breakfast, there was work to do. I primarily did a bunch of typing and tying up loose ends. Lance and Curt and (a much healthier) Pete went to work on wiring the boys dorm for lights and electricity. You’d think that an electrician’s job wouldn’t be something that Mike Rowe would include for one of his broadcasts; but for all the work they are doing, they deserve their own segment on Dirty Jobs. I am just thoroughly impressed. The crew continued slathering paint on the walls of the primary school. They are very proficient and are moving rather quickly through all the rooms. After my failed attempts at getting something accomplished on the computer, I gave up and painted with Mike Zangara. We worked on putting a coat of paint on the drywall that the crew from Howardsville, MI and I put up 4 years ago. And…Holy Cannoli… the thing is still standing. Don’t ask me to try to build another wall and drywall it… but I CAN’T believe it is still standing! Working with Mike has been neat- the guy is an overseer of over 8000 people on a construction project in Las Vegas. But even he isn’t in too high of a position to go and grab a roller and paint and do the dirty work. It struck me as a great example of servantheartedness. He is even considering not going with the group back into Tegucigalpa on Friday, but staying here at El Sembrador, doing more work and maybe riding public transportation into Tegucigalpa when their plane leaves on Monday (?). He just asked me to pray for Pastor Gill- he is an associate pastor in Mike and Ruth’s Church. And he is in an induced coma because of some severe breathing problems - so if all of you could think of him today that would be well appreciated! We cleaned up and had lunch and then packed up a suitcase and 70 balloon animals for the VBS in a church nearby town. The church building was a simple concrete building with a few windows and a tile floor that led to a stage. I would say that I is about half the size of our church annex. But yet we packed out the place with at least 100 people. Lori led them in a Spanish version of “I’m in right, out right, up right, down right all the time.” And some other songs sung by Samuel- a seminary student. They were taught the story of Daniel and the Lion’s den. And made bag puppets tha looked like lions for a craft. Then we distributed chips and drinks. And handed out all the goodies and tracts that you guys sent us with. Some comments from the team was that the kids and families were so respectful . There was no grabbing or disorderliness. And the expressions just made their day. The comment was made that often times if you give the average American kid a coloring book, it can be largely ignored. But as you looked at these kids (and families) receive a coloring book or goodies and treats, they are truly, truly grateful. I could stand to learn a few things from these appreciative people. Another team member commented that you can imagine Jesus surrounded by the crowds and all the little hands reaching out to him and what he felt when he was overwhelmed by it all. In terms of human possessions, these folks have very little to nothing in comparison to the average American. The interactions with all of these people have been so eye opening and dramatic. So thankful for each team member and all of you at home!!!
We returned to El Sembrador, cleaned up and hung out until supper. We had supper (Honduran Enchiladas! They had a seasoned ground beef and potato mixture, shredded cabbage, another SECRET SAUCE, some kind of cheese, and sliced hard boiled eggs. It may sound weird to you at home- but it was rather good!) Chocolate chip cookies and a some sort of treat that tasted like gingerbread topped everything off. After supper I tried a pick up game of 3 on 3 with Travis (the director), his cousin, Lance, Clinton, and two of the boys. I have given up trying to dunk the ball (I really thrashed my wrists from being a foolish show off) and I am leaving the slams to Michael Jordan (pronounced Mye-cahl Jor-dahn) which is the affectionate name that all the boys have given Lance. What I REALLY wanted to do tonight was play volleyball with a group of boys, but there was no one at the court. (Woe is me.) So…After my inevitable and severe thrashing on the basketball court, the evening bell rang and we went to the conference Center to have a devotional. We shared stories, sang, cried, laughed and had a wonderful time to just pour our hearts out before God. Then I asked Mike to share a little something with us. It was all so good and renewing! I came here with a lot of expectations of what God was going to do in our lives- and already what I thought was going to occur actually did not. But God provided something much better. He always works outside of our conventions and limitations. He has really made some indelible impressions on my heart and I am sure each of the other team members. Those things I could not have found of my own volition or of my preconceived notions. I shared a verse with the team earlier in this week- and what it says has been true. “Look at the nations and watch- and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told.”- Habakkuk 1:5. …Well, God, thanks for doing just that… keep on doing the things that I cannot begin to imagine. Until Tomorrow...For all of the Team, Bruce.

3 comments:

  1. Agree with Christy....Gods love is shown in the eyes of you and your team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the picture of Arlis with the little girl--it is worth thousands of words! I can't wait to hear the stories.

    ReplyDelete